Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best casual/hardcore gaming forum for bronies!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ask me about comics.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BlueOneTrunk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
BlueOneTrunk

Ask me about comics. Empty
PostSubject: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 6:49 am

Most places I go, typically I find that people know very little about comic books, yet seem to be highly interested. So I decided to let you guys ask me some questions pertaining to comic books so you can better acquaint yourself with them. I'll do my best to answer.
Back to top Go down
Presspass
Forum Filly
Forum Filly
Presspass

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Are... are you secretly Linkara? Surprised

OK, how about this: What is the funniest comic series you've read? The one with the best wit?
Back to top Go down
teenbrony7388
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
teenbrony7388

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 pm

How do comics sustain this much entertainment for so long?

Probably because they're good, I'm guessing.

(i have read none to 2 comic books in my lifetime.)
(not counting manga. Razz )
Back to top Go down
BlueOneTrunk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
BlueOneTrunk

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 1:27 am

For Presspass, no, I am not Linkara. I am aware of him and even had a few conversations with the guy, but I'm BlueOneTrunk, and I've been reading comics my whole life and thinking about them for just as long, well before Linkara appeared on the internet. And for your question about funny comics, I'd say the funniest thing I've ever read in comics would have to be,

the single issue Superman and Batman: Worlds Funnest
Ask me about comics. 250px-WorldsFunnest

which chronicles the comic relief characters Mr. Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite who are two 5th dimensional imps who pester Superman and Batman respectively. Mr. Mxyzptlk likes to annoy Superman, and Bat-Mite idolizes Batman yet bumbles in his attempts to help him. The comic chronicles the two getting into an argument and using their fifth dimensional powers to first kill Superman and Batman, and then proceed across the multiverse killing more Supermen and Batmen and destroying every universe they come across. It references some of the most famous comics of all time right down to the art and it's fun to see the two main characters interact with the differing versions of the DC Superheroes.

And funniest series would have to be Deadpool Team-Up.

Ask me about comics. Deadpool-teamup-897-3

Deadpool, who is quite hilarious on his own when written correctly, is even more hilarious when he's required to team up in every issue with different members of the Marvel Universe. The way his insanity bounces off other characters is almost always worth a laugh or two. It's quite a sight to see him team up with Thor, or become a Herald of Galactus. He's one of Marvel's more versatile characters, you could expect to see him in any situation and not question it at all.

And for teenbrony

Comic books are an interesting format. Unlike most other formats of story telling, comics seem to have no definable end. There are of course exceptions, but for the most part, you can probably expect stories about Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man for the rest of your life. Stories like Harry Potter, have an end. Comics however, no matter when you are born, you tend to find yourself in the middle because of how long running they are. Every comic is someone's first. The way to think about comics, is separate arcs. Self contained stories which, while building upon previous stories, can also stand alone. Comics are designed so that you can pretty much pick up from anywhere and enjoy yourself. The wonderful thing is, Marvel and DC have very well known characters. You really don't need to know more about Batman than he's a vigilante with no powers who uses hard work and skill to be a hero. You don't need to know more about Spider-Man than he has the powers of a human spider. It's nice and simple. Now it may seem intimidating, with their years and years of continuity, but that doesn't matter to you as a reader. Sure, you may not recognize that Batgirl, or know what she is, but it doesn't really matter to what's going on in that story arc. The reason each arc stays fresh, is typically because they have different people working on them at all times. The same person hasn't written Batman since 1939, so it's given chance for more people to come up with new stories for the character to appear. There's a reason some of the best comics ever have only appeared in the last 20 something years. People get to build on the characters and to see what they are, their underlying meanings. It's magnificent. And there's also the fact you can have stories which don't take place in the normal continuity. Like where Clark Kent becomes Batman or a Communist, or a Nazi. It's intriguing stuff.

So basically, the reason comics are so long lasting is the fact that there is an infinite possibility of good and interesting stories which can be told using the well established characters which everyone is at the very least aware of.
Back to top Go down
Presspass
Forum Filly
Forum Filly
Presspass

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 5:55 pm

You've had discussions with Linkara? In person? I know he attends Youmacon.

But those look like great suggestions, thanks! I know my cousin picked up a Deadpool story recently, but it looked like one of the poorly written ones. Deadpool Max or something like that. They returned it.
Back to top Go down
BlueOneTrunk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
BlueOneTrunk

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 pm

I've been in a Skype call with him before and discussed Gundam over Twitter.

And I'm up for more questions. Any kind at all. It's all good. And I didn't like Deadpool MAX. It was a series trying to be serious. Deadpool no do serious.
Back to top Go down
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Here's a good and common question:

If you could make any weapon/tool from a comic book a reality to use, what would it be, and is that weapon/tool your favorite one?
Back to top Go down
https://nintenbrony.forumotion.com
BlueOneTrunk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
BlueOneTrunk

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:40 pm

My choices for weapon/tool from a comic to wield has me caught between a Green Lantern Ring and Power Battery, and the Batmobile.

The Green Lantern Ring, is one of the most powerful weapons/tools in the greater omniverse, it's only limitations being occasionally the color yellow or wood. It's limit is only the will power of the user. It can do pretty much anything in your imagination that's physically possible.

Ask me about comics. 250px-Green_Lantern_Rebirth_6

But then there's the Batmobile. Consistently the most powerful and advanced automobile in the DC Universe and perhaps many other universes, it's just a really awesome car.

Ask me about comics. 1966-batmobile

Ask me about comics. Batmobile1

Ask me about comics. 31720051845801-03

*drool*
Such a cool car.

I'm highly caught between the two.

So that's why I go with the third option.

The Cosmic Cube

Ask me about comics. CosmicCube

The Cosmic Cube is a construct of infinite power. It gives it's user the ability to warp reality to any way they see fit. In that way, I could gain access to both the Batmobile and the Green Lantern ring.

And as for my favorite?

I'd go with Spider-Man's web-shooters. Web-shooters are god damn awesome. Swinging through the city would be so awesome. I also like them because it shows off how smart Peter Parker really is and it adds a drama of Spider-Man having a weakness.
Ask me about comics. FileSpider-man20webshooters
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask me about comics.   Ask me about comics. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ask me about comics.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nintenbrony Forums :: Non-Pony :: General Discussion-
Jump to: