Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best casual/hardcore gaming forum for bronies!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Robotoss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Robotoss

DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) Empty
PostSubject: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Well well well, what have we here? some people who are new to the game called DotA? Maybe you found the game while searching customs in WC3. Maybe you signed up for the DotA invite key, not knowing what you were getting yourself into. No matter which game you play, or how you got into it, you have sunk your life into this magical game. Hours upon hours, you spend each moment vigorously tapping the keys, hoping for the right combination of your spells to hit the enemy players, with even more hope lying in the trust of those strangers you were matched with. This is the world of DotA, or Defense of the Ancients. Originally a custom map for the classic game Warcraft 3, DotA has now spawned its trusty little sequel, aptly named DotA 2. As you might think, this thread is for All DotA/DotA 2 related discussions; strategy, meta game, newbies, party making, etc. All of that should happen here. So to start all of this off, I will ask a simple question: where/when did you come across the DotA universe, if at all. cheers! Smile

Helpful Links:
These websites all contain useful information and guides to help those with getting into the game for the first time or help those that have played for years.

http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
-this link is a really nice guide for those who are just starting out. It goes over basic concepts and ideas

http://www.playdota.com/
-while this is technically for the original DotA, everything on this website applies to both games. Read up on different heros abilities, check out the latest guides, and peruse the forums for more information

http://www.dotafire.com/
-This is basically a more visually pleasing version of the playdota site

https://www.youtube.com/user/DotaCinema
-this youtube channel has some good DotA 2 content, and releases videos overviewing all the heros that have been and will be added to DotA 2

https://www.youtube.com/user/PurgeGamers
-The writer of the first link posted, Purge uploads some decent gameplay videos that are nice for getting a feel for different heros, or for gameplay ideas. He also has well done castings of pro games.

Speaking of pro games, I would highly recommend that you all go watch some games played by highly skilled teams, such as Na'Vi, Mouz, EG, etc. They show good fundamentals for the game, and can show the powers of certain heros in the current meta game.

Last edited by Robotoss on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Duskfall
Admin
Admin
Duskfall

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 8:17 pm

I first started playing the Starcraft 2 version of the game. Now I play Valve's version: DOTA 2! Now with hats!
Back to top Go down
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 am

DOTA!

Me and Supermario recently got the game! We all need to play it in a lobby one night! My and Robotoss played it, and I got owned badly in the first round! Second round was okay, but this game has a massive learning-curve to it!
Back to top Go down
https://nintenbrony.forumotion.com
Robotoss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Robotoss

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Yeah, the game does have a huge learning curve, but it is totally worth it! I updated the original post with some links to helpful websites for people who are just starting out.
Back to top Go down
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Those guides really do help! Even though it is a "TL;DR" thing, I read about a quarter of it and learned how to play better!

I can play the Venomancer unit for all it's worth, and that's not a whole lot of value. It mainly goes for the assist kills over getting his own kills. He's pretty squishy in defense and is hard to level up because he rarely gets kills.

Anyways, can anypony say DOTA 2 TOURNAMENT?!
Back to top Go down
Robotoss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Robotoss

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Having a DotA 2 tournament would be INSANE!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SuperMario2199
Admin
Admin
SuperMario2199

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm going to suck at this tournament Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Robotoss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Robotoss

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:11 am

So, if we were to have a tournament, we'd need to have a decent number of people for it to work out. How many people here on the forum actually have DotA and/or play it?
Back to top Go down
SuperMario2199
Admin
Admin
SuperMario2199

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 1:34 am

you know, I stopped playing Dota. This game isn't for me and I can't stand people raging on me because I suck at it. So, enjoy your

tournament without me. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Robotoss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Robotoss

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 3:18 pm

That's a shame, sometimes the DotA community can be a bit harsh at times. Piggybacking off of that, if we don't have enough people for a tourney we should still get some people together for a few casual games at some point. Hopefully in a non-mean/rude environment that can help promote learning Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 6:06 pm

I know what you're talking about Commisar. You're talking about Helidor being an asshat to everyone that one time. He apologized, and he now goes easy on us. I would do the Learn section and do the tutorial on how to play Dragon Knight.
Back to top Go down
Robotoss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Robotoss

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm

Ninten is right, the dragon knight tutorial is a nice place to start.
Back to top Go down
Duskfall
Admin
Admin
Duskfall

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 3:15 pm

SuperMario2199 wrote:
you know, I stopped playing Dota. This game isn't for me and I can't stand people raging on me because I suck at it. So, enjoy your

tournament without me. Neutral

All competitive games are like this, especially when people are forced into a team setting with people they don't particularly know and especially when the skill deficit between two players is high. I mean, with most mainstream multiplayer games, you find a plentiful amount of tryhard ragers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)   DotA 2!  (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DotA 2! (Defense of the Ancients/Defense of the Ancients 2)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nintenbrony Forums :: Gaming Section :: Gaming Discussion-
Jump to: