Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best casual/hardcore gaming forum for bronies!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fighting is Magic CANCELLED

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

Fighting is Magic CANCELLED Empty
PostSubject: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 5:15 pm

So the most anticipated project in the Brony fandom has been cancelled indefinitely. Fighting is Magic received a cease and desist letter from the lawyers of Hasbro. In my opinion, there are two thoughts I have about this:

1) Hasbro has been backhanding the bronies A LOT lately. This, Rainbow Dash Presents, Friendship is Witchcraft, and episodes on Youtube all gone in one month!

2) Hasbro NEEDS to defend its property. My Little Pony needs to keep a lot of its trademark to Hasbro because if it does not take legal action enough times, it could be brought to court and make My Little Pony a public entity. That means they can't make profit from My Little Pony anymore OR anyone could just buy My Little Pony's licence.

Though Lauren Faust DID say on Twitter to the Mane 6 she is willing to help them make NEW characters for their fighting game to create a whole new game! Dude, Lauren Faust is the fucking bomb! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://nintenbrony.forumotion.com
gamerectangle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
gamerectangle

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 pm

i agree on everything ninten.
but it's sad to think they put about 2 years of their lives into a project and when it was near the end the sent a c & d
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/gamerectangle
benrowe
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
benrowe

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

but isn't fighting is magic technically a parody in witch case they really can't sue?
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105253526094259374159/posts
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 5:30 pm

It kind of doesn't work like that. You see, what Hasbro is trying to defend is called Intellectual Property, or in short, IP. IP is a type of insurance a company uses to defend their copyrights and trademarks. If someone steals an idea from them, their IP insurance will kick in to fix all legal damages done. Mainly it's to make the person stop and take all the money they made copying them.

It's true, there are some fan-made things that have passed this because they got special permission. Team Four Star and LittleKuriboh are allowed to use Dragon Ball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged series because of this. They limit it to a specific group because they see it's popular and will attract newcoming fans to the original series.

The thing is with Hasbro, there are TOO MANY people using that content. Bronies left and right are helping themselves to the fandom's art, dolls, parodies, and downloaded content, that it begins to become a threat to the company. If Hasbro neglects their IP insurance too much and allow everyone to do what they want with ponies, their IP insurance will just cease to exist because they are not taking legal action to defend My Little Pony. It will make My Little Pony a public entity. Heck even worse, someone could buy the franchise for their own use.

THAT'S why Hasbro has been pushing us around lately. If they don't, they can lose the rights to My Little Pony! Just know Hasbro isn't pushing us around, they are showing us our fandom actually does have a limit; and we're pushing it.
Back to top Go down
https://nintenbrony.forumotion.com
gamerectangle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
gamerectangle

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 6:56 pm

well, i suppose thats fair.
i hope they go along with laurens idea then someone releases a mod for ponies
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/gamerectangle
benrowe
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
benrowe

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 pm

I see. I jut hope Hasbro doesn't ruin the show
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105253526094259374159/posts
Duskfall
Admin
Admin
Duskfall

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Actually Ninten, the having to defend your IP thing isn't true. If that is the case, Hasbro would have to crack down on EqD, FimFiction and a crap load of other stuff on the internet, and so will other companies with their properties as well.

The reason why Hasbro cracked down on Fighting is Magic is a PR thing.
Think about it, Hasbro has the MLP franchise to sell toys to little girls. While they've been nice by letting so many things pass, such as Ditzy Doo (for a short while, the reason this got pulled as well will be explained with the others), the huge amount of fanfiction, art and music, their main goal is to market to little girls. The brony fandom is still very young, and even though we've been hit up by a lot of news outlets, a good majority of people still don't know about bronies. I even had a science teacher who collects old MLP toys as a hobby and she had no idea we even existed until I told her. That being said, the general consensus is that Hasbro has MLP to market to little girls, and that is absolutely correct.

Fighting is Magic got shut down because of EVO, because Fighting is Magic got so big, it started to seep into the general public. It's a no brainer that Hasbro knew about Fighting is Magic's development and I suspect they've had their eye on it for a long time. By not cracking down on it, they've basically implicitly given Mane6 a license to the MLP properties. That said, if Hasbro allowed development to continue, people would have thought they were endorsing cute colorful ponies beating the crap out of each other. Do you know how much backlash Hasbro would get? When Fighting is Magic got to EVO, Hasbro had two options, shut Fighting is Magic down, or get eaten alive by the press.
The same applies to Ditzy, Rainbow Dash Present, and Friendship is Witchcraft. Although Ditzy was originally an animation error, she became something a lot bigger. Ditzy getting the axe because someone complained that she represented handicapped people and that it was insulting to said people is honestly bullshit. However, the general public doesn't know about this giant male community behind MLP and if they saw Ditzy when she had the spotlight, they'd think that Hasbro was insulting handicapped people too. Again, Hasbro had two choices, pull Ditzy, or get destroyed by the media.

Friendship is Wtichcraft: same story.

As for the episodes getting pulled from Youtube, I'm fairly certain it's just a troll running around fucking with us. If it really was Hasbro, they would have hammered ALL of the episodes. Check youtube, there are plenty of episodes still up.

Back to top Go down
BlueOneTrunk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
BlueOneTrunk

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Hasbro done stuff like this before.

A lot of the Transformers Fansproject toys have been taken out by Hasbro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighting is Magic CANCELLED   Fighting is Magic CANCELLED I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fighting is Magic CANCELLED
Page 1 of 1