Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Nintenbrony Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best casual/hardcore gaming forum for bronies!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
teenbrony7388
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
teenbrony7388

Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) Empty
PostSubject: Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)   Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Okay, I've been quiet for a while now. I rarely ever post these days, and it seems like I only existed in 2011 and 2012 in these forums. So I figured I might as well post something.

I've been playing Pokemon Black 2 for quite a while now, and that game hasn't worn me out a bit. I'd go as far to say that it's my favorite Pokemon game. (Although that may change with Gen VI... that Kangaskhan Mega Evolution blew me away)

But recently, I've been reflecting on the past. Specifically, my past self. I wish that I could just forget my past self even happened. I have done many things that i regret severely, and things that I can never forgive myself for. Example: my existence in 2011 and 2012. I was so annoying and childish back then, and I will always judge that version of myself. (look at the poll for Black and White 2, LONG time ago.)

And what does this have to do with Pokemon, you ask? Well, I (like many other children in the world) grew up with Pokemon. Technically, I grew up with the 1st generation, but I really grew up with the 3rd. (i.e., FireRed) I played that game until my thumbs were sore and my neck was stiff. I was dedicated to beat the Elite Four, and it wasn't until years later that I actually accomplished that goal.

But, as many of you are aware, the 5th generation gets tons of flack. Mainly because the Pokemon are "designed badly" and "are unoriginal". Most of this speech come from Genwunners, who, when you say the name out loud, are obvious why they are referred as such.

And considering that, at a time when I was younger and more foolish, I was one of these people and i didn't even realize it, I didn't know such people existed.

So I scrolled through the "interwebz", and saw a bunch of posts relating to these things, and I've come to a bigger, better realization.

Generation V is the best Pokemon generation!

And everything I thought I knew about Generation I is wrong.

And it doesn't matter how badly the Pokemon are designed. What matters is how they are used! (OH GOD TEAM PLASMA IS GONNA SH*T ALL OVER ME)

Example: when I was close to beating Ghetis and saving Unova, I was using a Vanilluxe named Chilled.

Yes, the weird looking ice cream Pokemon.
Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) 584
And I was going to go for Mamoswine first but,

this guy's Special Attack stat was amazing!

Chilled was a great asset to my team and I'll always leave a place for him in my heart.

Another example: When I was facing Elesa, the Electric type Gym Leader, I didn't have much to face her with. All I had was a Trubbish, a Dewott, a Growlithe, and a Herdier.

I sent Trubbish out first, just so he could set up Toxic Spikes.

He took out Elesa's entire team by himself. That was something special.

I didn't experience anything like this when I played FireRed, mostly because "original 151 Pokemon were the best" was shoved down my throat.

I said something similar earlier, but all Pokemon designs are equal to me. Every generation has both good and sub-par designed Pokemon.

And the rest of the game itself, pretty damn good. The story's decent at worst, the visuals look fantastic, and so much has been added.

You don't need to slap Kanto in front of a Pokemon game to make it good. You need to put soul in the game to make it good. And that's exactly what Game Freak did with Pokemon Black and White 2. And I'm positive that's what they're going to do X and Y.

I loathe my past, naive self for hating these games. I have made worse mistakes in the past, but this one is one of them I will regret forever. Every single Pokemon game is not the same, but all have great quality.

Sorry that I haven't been as active as of late. I think this is a mouthful of a post already, though.

I'll try not to be too annoying as I was in the past, but I'll also try to be more social than I was in the past, too.

And maybe think about changing my username. Another mistake of mine.
Back to top Go down
BlueOneTrunk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
BlueOneTrunk

PostSubject: Re: Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)   Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Back to top Go down
teenbrony7388
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
teenbrony7388

PostSubject: Re: Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)   Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:57 am

I guess some things never change....
Back to top Go down
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

PostSubject: Re: Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)   Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Well, I liked Generation 1 & 2 the most.  Nostalgia might be a big factor in it, but it's because I didn't have to worry about metagame things Effort Value spreads, Individual Vales.  The only bad things I can remember from those generations were:

• Lance's Dragonite knew Barrier in Gen 1 despite it cannot learn it legitimately
  • Lance's Aerodactyl knew Rock Slide in Gen II depsite it not learning the move until Gen III
  • The only move super effective against Psychic Pokemon in Gen 1 was Twineedle; and that was only learned by Beedrill.

Well, Fire Red and Leaf Green are still Gen III actually.  It might exist in Kanto story arc, but it has a lot of things Gen I did not have yet:

• Genders
  • Breeding
  • Abilities
  • New moves
  • Different TM/HMs
  • Held items
  • Sevii Islands
  • Dark/Steel types
  • Jhoto & Hoenn Pokemon
  • New offence/defense resistances (Poison is no longer super effective against Bug Pokemon)

It just isn't the same with those put in there. The challenge and the time growing up with it really made the game. Not the mechanics.
Back to top Go down
https://nintenbrony.forumotion.com
teenbrony7388
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
teenbrony7388

PostSubject: Re: Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)   Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Not the only things bad with Generation 1. Other things bad include:

• Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense were combined, which means that you were guaranteed to win if you had a Psychic Pokemon, resulting in unbalanced gameplay.

• Critical hits were based on how fast your Pokemon was, so when you had a Pokemon with high speed, you could pull crits out of your butthole.

• Waking up from sleeping wasted a turn.

• Blizzard was given 90 accuracy, making it one of the cheapest Ice-type moves in the game.

Even when you give Red and Blue the Generation 3 mechanics, Psychic type Pokemon are still very cheap, since there are few Pokemon who can learn Dark-type moves at that point.

But I'll give Gen 2 some credit and thank them for fixing the balance and

• Introducing Dark and Steel types, both of which are favorites of mine

• Separating the Special stat

• Introducing some decent Pokemon, like Ursaring, and making Zubat worth having thanks to Crobat (dat speed!)

And one last tidbit-now that we are older, the Pokemon games aren't really that challenging anymore. Sure-they're fun as hell to play, but at the expense of using strategy.

This is why I'm going to try to get into competitive battling and EV training- just so it can be a bit more challenging. It's more than "have one Pokemon of every type and you'll win".

I grew up with it, but that's not what makes it for me.
Back to top Go down
Nintenbrony
Admin
Admin
Nintenbrony

PostSubject: Re: Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)   Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 pm

I would recommend the Pokemon metagame, but I wouldn't get all absorbed into the hardcore players. Try to come up with good movesets and EV spreads, and use Smogon's sets as a reference guide: Not a bible.

I used to be VERY big into competitive Pokemon. I don't do it a lot anymore, but I can make a Smogon player run for his money!
Back to top Go down
https://nintenbrony.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)   Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Genwunners and why they tick me off. (Also, short rant about myself)
Page 1 of 1